Sunday, May 15, 2011

The moment

What was that moment that solidified your choice of your career?
Mine was while I was in Mexico on a mission trip with a bunch of students from Azusa Pacific. So there was this man who had diabetes so bad that he could not feel this legs, but he stilled walked with a cane. He had an ulcer on one of his feet, now when I say ulcer, I'm not talking that second degree clean, kinda wet one we all think of. I'm talking forth degree, gangrenous down to the muscle, very close to the bone, smelly and only something you would see in a third world country. The doctor got to choose one of the students to be "first assist" in debridement, he chose me (which was such an honor). I got to suction, I use that term loosely, I really just put on some gloves and used gauze and tweezers to help clean up the wound. We were not in an OR or even a hospital, we were in a church running a clinic for the people of Chiapas. We were not sterile or even close to it. Before we began the debridement we all gathered and held hands and this gentle man said the most beautiful prayer I'd ever heard, I understood little, but the faith that he had in God, us Americans and in the doctor was amazing. This was when I knew what true faith was. It was unwavering and peaceful. I can't say that I have that kind of faith yet, but I try.
The doctor after the debridement said to the whole group that if that man were in the states we would have had both legs amputated years ago. The access to care across the world is such a huge issue so I'm in awe that my friend Nicole is volunteering in a clinic in Peru for a month. She is also very faithful.
As I reflect on this moment, I did not even realize that I loved OR at that point, but that love grew through many clinical experiences in "OR's." People have so much faith in surgeons and anethesiologists that it amazes me.
So with that, I've been apply for jobs and hoping someday that moment when I have life in my hands I will have faith and knowledge to better the life of the patient and my colleagues.

No comments:

Post a Comment